Thursday, November 17, 2011

Chickenfoot

Chickenfoot
(noun)
Emotional Blackmail. 


"If you love me you will buy me gum when you go to the store."
"You don't love me at all."
"If you care about me you will let me go to her house."


Non-Chickenfoot:
Mom: "Braelyn, get in the car right now."
Braelyn: "Not until I sit in the front."
Mom: "Braelyn, you will get in the car right now or you will get extra chores when we get home."
Braelyn: "Mom, that's a chickenfoot."

The kids and I have been using this term for over a year now and it works surprisingly well. We started using it for my sake. I was going through a hard time in my emotional life and I wanted the girls to have a word to say when they noticed me using emotional blackmail. It comes up quite often in a house full of females. They each know the meaning and understand how it works. Once said it helps us to see what we are doing.

I use my blog as a type of journal and history so I wanted to get this one documented. It's a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. I dont think what you said was wrong. Its how it should be...do what your mother says or get punished.

    ReplyDelete