Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Doggie Paddle

Last week Kensington & I drove down to pick up the baby from his dad's and we helped with a few things around his house since he has had foot surgery and can't do much. When it came down to about five minutes before we had to leave I went to take some garbage outside and left the front door open without thinking. His big dog got out and took off. Ken & I headed him off at the garbage cans by the curb but he quickly manuevered his way out of the muzzle and took off down across the field and down the ditch across from Blake's house. Kensington took off after him barefoot. Seeing that she was chasing him I kind of picked up some garbage that fell and waited... for what I have no idea. The dog wasn't wearing a collar bc he slipped out of it. Was I waiting for Kensington to carry the dog back... who knows. After a few minutes went by I figured I should run after them both as well. Barefoot. So off I went. As I turned the bend where they ran to minutes prior they were no where in sight. I kind of freaked because Kensington doesn't know this part of town, doesn't know how to get back to the house and has no way of contacting me. I was scared. I ran down the ditch path calling for Kensi and in a few seconds I could hear her calling "Jack" from across the fence line coming from the neighborhood backing up to where I was. I told her I was coming to find her. I made my way over there and almost passed the cul-de-sac where she and the dog were. She was chasing him still as they came out of someone's back yard!!! The dog ran back the way we came from and I was glad bc at least we were all headed back in the right direction!! The dog was not slowing down though at all and I said a prayer that  we could get the dog back because it was past time for me to go to pick up kids an hour north at our elementary school! Seconds later Blake showed up with his truck and fanagled the dog in! Phew!!! From reading this it just sounds like a quick jaunt down the ditch and back but it ended up being between 10-15 minutes of running like that.

The FUNNIEST part about this whole thing though was that when Kensington chased the dog into that back yard there were gardeners there and she looked at them in horror and said "I'm so sorry!" And at that moment the dog JUMPED INTO THEIR POOL!!! She had me rolling on the way home about how humiliated she was and how funny it was!! The gardeners had to help the dog out of the pool. I thought it was the funniest thing ever. Kids looking on from inside the house and all while this stranger dog ran into their back yard and hopped in for a swim!

I was so proud of her for her marathon running and not letting the dog out of her sight. I don't know how Blake will do that if the dog gets out again. He's on crutches. I'm glad Ken was with me or I am not sure if I could have kept up with him either.

No comments:

Post a Comment