Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One More...

I've had this on my stupid "to do" list for weeks. Seriously. This isn't even a big deal but it's so random and odd that I wanted to share. We live just north of the Johnson Space Center and literally just south (by a couple blocks) from Ellington Field. We have a lot of planed flying over and lately seems like even more. And they are flying low. One day, this plane flew so low and was SO loud that it set off car alarms as the girls were walking home from escuela. I was waiting for them at the corner and this thing flew right over us. I've never seen anything like it!

NASA's present Super Guppy Turbine, the fourth and last example of the final version, first flew in its outsized form in 1980. It and its three sister ships were built in the 1970s for Europe's Airbus Industrie to ferry outsized structures for Airbus jetliners to the final assembly plant in Toulouse, France. It later was acquired by the European Space Agency, and then acquired by NASA in late 1997 for transport of large structures for the International Space Station to the launch site. It replaced the earlier-model Super Guppy, which has been retired and is used for spare parts. NASA's Super Guppy Turbine carries NASA registration number N941NA, and is based at Ellington Field near the Johnson Space Center. NASA Photo by: Tony Landis

So cool! I feel so passionately about all things NASA. I think it's amazing to live so close to it all.

1 comment:

  1. You are very blessed I wish I had something awesome that I was so passionate about!! Awesome Plane!

    ReplyDelete