Thursday, March 27, 2014

Some Life Lessons

Recently I felt inspired to compile some life lessons I've learned and share them with the kids in a Family  Home Evening. We did that Monday night and it went very well! <3

I wanted to blog about them so I can look back and remember. They are always good to review and apply!

1- You are never more than or less than others! Always stay "relational".
2- When people tell you who they are: LISTEN.
3- Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle.
4- Keep it "real". (Mostly regarding relationships. Don't fantasize something to mean something it's not! Do not create your own reality but see truth and accept truth. Don't think you can change someone.)
      *What is real?
      *Reality can change from day to day
5- Stand for what is right. Even if you stand alone.
6- Give others the EXTREME benefit of the doubt. Make outlandish stories up in your head when someone upsets you as to why they did that! It helps process it and can be really funny!
7- "Feel your way through"
     *pay attention to how you feel around certain people, around situations, when you live a gospel principle, at certain places (you can tell the difference between good and bad this way)
     *revelation from Heavenly Father mostly comes from feelings

"Occasionally, the Spirit will press just firmly enough or often enough for us to pay attention; but from my experience, most of the time, if we do not heed the gentle feeling, if we do not listen with those feelings, the Spirit will withdraw and wait until we come seeking and listening, in our manner and our expression""How Does the Spirit Speak to Us?" New Era Magazine, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Feb. 2010 (italics added)

8- Take responsibility {integrity} Don't blame others! You will be miserable if you go through life blaming others and not owning your part.
9- No more sleepovers at friends' homes. Too often lately I have heard horror stories and every time I sent my child off to spend the night I felt like I was gambling! I hoped and prayed no creeper would harm them (mostly sexual abuse is what I've heard of) and they would be brought back to me safely. This feeling was getting more and more prevalent and I just decided no more. They can have late nights or friends here. One child in particular was heartbroken and that is really hard for me bc I want her to be happy but I truly am trying my best to protect the stewardship that I am in control over. Not gamble with it.
10- Words & Actions
      *Be aware of what others tell you just to appease you verses what they show you. Do not settle for mere words
      *On the flip side, ensure you always back up your words with action. Always do what you say you will do. Be trustworthy.
11-Utilize the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I shared with the kids how Christ is the mediator between us and anyone who may have hurt us. It's as if he is kneeling in front of us between us and our perpetrator begging us for forgiveness, when he's done nothing wrong. He has taken upon Him the sin of the other already. He begs for forgiveness and who are we not to forgive him. He then compensates us for the hurt or loss we have suffered at the hands of another. He will fill every void, heartache, longing we can ever have.


No comments:

Post a Comment