Sunday, August 17, 2014

Cats & College

I never knew cats would be the reason one would decide to go to college.

To keep it short, here are some basic facts:
1- I babysit an infant baby girl
2- Braelyn's friend was giving away kittens. Brae kept asking me if we could get one.
3- I gave Brae many reasons why she couldn't have a kitten, she kept asking.
4- I really love cats! <3
5-Brae kept asking and showing me pics of "her" kitten. I kept saying "no".
6- Finally, one day I said we could get a kitten but that we would need to get 2 so they would always have a friend. We had cats before and they were a brother and sister. Worked well!
7- I mentioned it to the baby's dad in passing one day that we were thinking of getting kittens.He told me the baby's grandma is allergic but they didn't know if the baby was. That is all I remember him telling me.
8-A couple weeks  passed by and we got the kittens.
9- Brae mentioned it to the baby's mom one morning that we got new kitties. She seemed fine.
10- When  the baby's dad picked her up that same evening he brought up the fact that it wasn't ok  that we got the cats. He told me the baby's mom was allergic and that when he was a kid he was deathly allergic. He told me that when he and I talked about it weeks prior that he thought "that was that" and that we decided against it after we had our talk. What floored  me was I never thought twice about it after that- no red  flags were raised in my mind- and the Spirit never warned me of pending doom.
11- That evening her dad told me that we  would have to choose between the cats and watching their daughter. They thought she would be allergic. It left me with a hard choice to make.

The back-facts:
I have struggled financially,  mentally & physically for a long time trying to manage all my responsibilities. Watching a baby on top of running my business and being a mom is harder than I have the capacity to do. Adding the baby to my life has brought me to my knees every day pleading for help. In January I received inspiration to go back to school but didn't know when and how that would work. When I started watching  the baby it was our agreement that I would watch her for at least a year and a half before re-evaluating the situation. I didn't feel that it was right to go to her parents and tell  them (after three months) that they would need to find someone else. I started  to get feelings that there was a "better way" for us. I had been praying and telling Heavenly Father that if he wanted me to go back to school that I was willing but didn't know how that could happen.

The evening that I was given an ultimatum it allowed me the chance to take a step back and look at everything. I felt that I was being given a chance to make a change. I didn't get the cats on purpose knowing her family would feel so passionately about them. As soon as they said what they did I knew I was in the wrong  for not communicating with them better. However, my heart was in the right place in getting the cats- to give my kids a pet they could love.

My choice was NOT about choosing my income/a beautiful baby girl vs cats but rather to make a choice to make a big change- one that has the potential to make our lives better. I felt the circumstance provided  me  with the perfect opportunity.

The days that followed were filled with much uncertainty & turmoil. Once I told the family about my choice to go back to college  there was a lot left up in the air. This was the middle of June and school didn't start until the end of August. How would I pay my bills for those two months if they took the baby? We were heart broken at the thought that she wouldn't be coming over anymore. The outcome turned out to be that if we would keep the cats secluded that we would keep her until school started. Then, that didn't feel right either so now we are keeping her AND going back to school. Her mom is planning to be a stay at home momma this holiday season.

We are now a week away from school. I am excited and terrified at the same time. I don't know HOW I am going to add more responsibility. I do know it's exactly what the Lord wants me to do and there's great power and peace in knowing that. I know He will  provide a way- I am open to what that may mean- some things may have to go, like babysitting and vinyl. I'm not sure how we will pay bills but hey, that's another problem for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment