Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Unexpected Storm that Could!

We went to bed that Sunday night expecting some rain but that was it. I slept through the first tornado warning going off on my phone but woke up with the 3am alarm. The thunder was so loud. I watched out the window for a few minutes and said a prayer to know if I should wake the kids up to move downstairs. Within a few minutes I was gathering my babies and moving them downstairs. It was terrifying. Hurricane Ike and the storm in San Antonio last year that had us under a tornado warning were the only storms scarier than this one.
At least the kids were good sports as we laid in the living room away from the windows. They were in a good mood and we laughed a lot. I was prepared to move them into the food pantry if needs be. By 4am it had died down enough, and we received notice that school was out for the day, that we headed back upstairs to sleep.
We were not prepared for what would come the following days. It had rained so hard, so quickly, that there was major flooding and wind damage. A tree fell on my friend's car and the roads looked like a hurricane or tornado moved through. There was debris everywhere. The only damage we suffered was a fence post being knocked over. We were very blessed. School remained closed the entire week due to flooding.

Here are some pics of that week.

Cali with her friends serving those in the Wimbledon neighborhood.




We worked from home Monday because there was no power in the shop and the storms were pretty bad still that morning. My internet went out halfway through the day (while I was taking a test for school) and I didn't get any work done. Tuesday Mark hooked up power to my office & Michelle's office via generator so we could work. The photo above is a funny joke because we had to get creative for potty breaks that day. By Wednesday, power was back on and life started to return to normal, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment