Sunday, February 12, 2012

Star of Hope

We volunteered at Star of Hope on Friday night. It's a transitional home to keep people and families off the streets. We had heard about it from a friend in League City who volunteers there monthly. She was going on Friday night with her family and I wanted to join them with my girls. I didn't really know what to expect. We knew it was cookie night and there were possibly going to be 225 residents who attend. Becky, my friend, asked if I wanted to bring bottled water and she would bring the cookies and juice. As I picked up the water I picked up a couple boxes of Chips Ahoy to take as a backup. I thought the facility was providing the main dessert (cookies) and the volunteers were helping provide them. What I came to find out is the residents get only what the volunteers bring.

We left in plenty of time because I wasn't sure how long it would take us to get to Medical District in rush hour on a Friday night. The greatest challenge on the way there was overcoming all the contention in our own car. UgGH!! :D We got there and found out that my friend was stuck in traffic. Good ol' Houston traffic (www.ihatehoustontraffic.com)! She told me there was a big back up on 610 and would be running a few minutes late. We found our way in to the main lobby and was quickly and without much direction showed into the cafeteria to set up. The man was abrupt and quiet and told me to set up and asked if I brought paper goods (paper plates, napkins) for the cookies. I was so dumbfounded! Ahhhh! I had nothing. I told him I did not to which he brought out napkins and told me to set up and get ready. Sooooo, we put out about 225 cheapie cookies out on napkins and hoped Becky would arrive soon. :D The residents showed up sooner than we hoped (bc Becky was still in traffic) but they came in and it was mass chaos. I had no idea how it worked but they came in and the kids played with my younger girls and they seemed to have fun. My greatest hope was to share with the adults that the good cookies were on the way! Becky arrived about 15 minutes in and we were SO glad to see their family. The entire cookie night lasted about 40 minutes then we swept up and left. As we drove home we were stuck in construction traffic because someone for some reason thinks it is a good idea to shut down the north freeway on a Friday night at 9:30. My kids were bickering like crazy. Let me recall exactly how it went so I can share. Brae and myself were up front. Ken was in the way back and Cali and Bella were in the middle seats. Mind you traffic was pretty much at a stop while everyone was merging. Kensington was SINGING everything she wanted to say. Cali was SCREAMING for her to stop singing and Bella was crying because (honestly, I have no idea why Bella was upset. I think it was because something on the radio said a word that she didn't like). 3 of us had to pee and all Brae and I could do was laugh. It was so ridiculous to have come away from a very chaotic service project where we felt like we didn't really do any good to a car full of noise and craziness! I know when our car was hopping with noise I told Braelyn I was sure I would never find a husband! Who in their right mind would want to ride with that! haha I didn't want to ride in that either! ;'D

The morning after I was reading in my journal and came across a quote about how the atonement truly means "one" and is all about helping just one person. As a couple days have passed I can see the good we did by going. It wasn't at ALL how I thought it would be. It was PLAN B. We met a nice woman who lived there who was really special you could tell. Her name is Laura. She was bright and hopeful and faithful and sweet. She and I talked for awhile. We met a birthday boy who was turning 15 who was cute and nice and I knew he didn't want to be there. We met some friendly momma's and some loving kids. My kids chased the kids around outside. They laughed. 3 of my girls want to go back. 1 isn't so sure. I know we will go back to give it another chance. I think knowing in advance what to expect makes a lot of difference.

I wish I had more power to do more good.

No comments:

Post a Comment